Epoxy floor coating can be difficult to remove without the right tools, and is the first step in your concrete floor restoration. Professionals like the team at Shot Blast Inc. can help you along the way. Depending on the thickness of the epoxy, concrete floor paint removal can be completed in a number of ways.
Coating Removal by Mechanical Methods:
- If the coating is 8 mils or less, it usually can be shot blasted off the surface.
- If the coating system is 8 mils or more, the system can be removed utilizing 1,000 lb. planatary grinders and diamond tooling.
- Elastomeric membranes (flexible), can only be removed utilizing ride-on Diesel powered scarifiers with carbide cutters.
Once the coating system is removed there are several options for preserving the surface:
- It can be sealed with a high performance epoxy or urethane.
- It can be densified to harden the surface and then sealed, this is recommended in high abrasion areas and heavy forklift traffic.
- The surface can be ground and honed up to 1,500 grit to diamond polish the surface.