Specifications for New Concrete to be Polished
Preferred Mix Design Specs
- 3500 psi minimum
- Pozzolans—No more than 15% cement replacement is recommended
- Admixtures—in moderation, admixtures are ok for use with polished concrete. Superplasticizers will require removal with a stripper before attempting to grind and polish
Preferred Flatwork Finishing Specs
- Preferred Floor Flatness (FF) of 50
- Preferred Floor Levelness (FL) of 35
- Alternative to FF/FL is the strike-off method:
- 0″–1/8″ is favorable
- 1/8″–1/4″ is wavy/unfavorable
- Bull-floated, smooth, pan-finished floor from edge to edge, with no rough areas
- Concrete Compressive Strength: 3,500psi to 5,000psi
- Lightweight Concrete: Not allowed if aggregate exposure is required.
- Concrete Curing: Minimum 8 days water cured or dissipating curing compound applied.
- Laser screeding is good for ensuring flatness.
- No trowel marks
- Do not burn when power troweling
- No indentions left on surface (ex: knee marks, shoe prints)
Keep in mind, concrete must cure for at least 28 days before polishing.