Contact a Concrete Shot Blasting Contractor
When it comes to dealing with bridge surface preparation, Shot Blast Inc. has enough experience to create superior surfaces that can endure for years.
When a bridge is rebuilt, the top 2–5 inches of concrete must be removed through concrete scarification. This results in micro-fracturing of the concrete surface, leaving a weak layer.
The only solution: shot blasting.
Our Bridge Shot Blasting Process
We remove micro-fractured concrete by shooting high velocity steel balls at the surface, like we did on the Delaware Memorial Bridge. As a result, we eliminate micro-fractured concrete and contamination.
Each project has unique specifications, with varying grades (from coarse to very fine) and intensities of shot blasting. After this process, we then magnet-sweep the surface to remove excess steel and use high-powered blowers to prepare for resurfacing.
Job Specification and Surface Examination Checklist
- Determine if job specifications are in alignment with expectations of the project engineer.
- Create a detailed proposal that includes cleaning methods, concrete surface profile, and surface defect repair procedures.
- Check current surface for existing sealers, curing materials, grease, oil, efflorescence, traffic lines, tar, and dirt. All of these existing materials need to be stripped prior to the installation of a new concrete surface.
Concrete Repair Guidelines
The International Concrete Repair Institute (ICRI) has created a guideline called, “Selecting and Specifying Concrete Surface Preparation for Sealers, Coatings, and Polymer overlays.” It provides concrete surface profiles (CSP) that are used under the following conditions:
- Light Shot Blast (CSP 3): coating applications from 4–5 mils in thickness
- Medium Shot Blast (CSP 4 or 5): coating applications from 15–50 mils in thickness
- Medium-Heavy Shot Blast (CSP 5 or 6): coating applications from 40 mils to 1/8″ in thickness
- Heavy Shot Blast (CSP 6 or 7): topping applications from ¼” to ½”
- Extreme Shot Blast (CSP 8 or 9): concrete overlays greater than ½”
For more information about our bridge surface services, view our PDF brochure.
Call a Concrete Resurfacing Contractor
Looking for bridge resurfacing in your area? Shot Blast Inc. is a concrete shot blasting company consisting of professional concrete resurfacing contractors who service NJ, PA, DE, MD and beyond.
Contact us today for a quote!