The bridge over the Christina River in Wilmington is having some work done to it. In order for the contractor to be able to apply new coatings to the bridge it first has to be prepared.
This week we shot blasted 425,000 square feet on the north bound side of 495.
No job is ever the same. In this business it is very hard to give blind bids because of the uncertainty surrounding each job. Every concrete floor is different and every floor has a different history of treatment. That creates unique challenges when heading into a job.
We also love the customers that we work for, and Christopher Kunes Contracting has been a great customer of ours. He came to us with his latest project, a Jersey Mike’s Sub shop in York, PA. The previous use of this floor left behind a lot of mastic/glue from the tiles that used to cover the floor. When the demolition phase started, they began to remove the tiles and left behind a number of divots in the floor.
Our first job was to prepare the floor by grinding the mastic off. We used 30/40 metal bond diamonds to do that, followed by 60/80 metal bond diamonds. After the floor was ready, we began polishing with our 100 grit transitional diamonds and worked our way up to 1500 grit. In the end the job looked spectacular.
Mar-Allen Concrete was renovating the I-476 bridge ramps going down into Clark’s Summit, PA. They were ready to install a high friction overlay and needed the concrete appropriately prepared. Naturally they contacted us about shot blasting the bridge so their overlay would properly adhere and give lasting quality and reliability to the ramp.
Since the job was time sensitive our crew went up the night before and stayed in a hotel in order to start working first thing in the morning with no time lost. Deck had tines and our crew blasted to a Concrete Surface Profile (C.S.P) of 5-6. Using our diesel powered BW machines we were able to shot blast 45,000 sq. ft. in just 8 hours. As always we magnet swept and cleaned up excess shot after the job.
New Hudson Facades recently created their new manufacturing facility in Boothwyn, PA. They decided to go with polished concrete from Shot Blast Inc. for their office and break areas.
These areas see heavy foot traffic, so they require a floor that is both durable and easy to clean. Polished concrete contains no sealer, wax, or coating to wear off. Additionally, the high reflectivity of these floors reduces the need for artificial lighting makes the space look bright and clean.
As you can see in the photos below, New Hudson Facades went with a glossy slate to suit their office decor. However, we offer a wide variety of colors that you can find here.
For more reasons this flooring is ideal for offices and warehouses, see a previous blog post called Why Polished Concrete.
“I want to express my sincere gratitude to ShotBlast for the great floor refinishing work performed at Classic Plaza shopping center. ShotBlast did a fantastic and meticulous job in getting the floor completed on budget. I really appreciated your effort in manning the job with enough workers to complete the job ahead of schedule. The finished floor exceeded my expectations and those of my supermarket tenant who commented that is was the nicest polished floor in their chain. The job went smoothly due to the fact you and Jim identified all issues with the 40-year-old floor ahead of the job and planned for them during the course of the job. I have recommended you to a few of my developer friends and contractors and plan on continuing to do so.
There are not many contractors who pay this close attention to detail and where the owner is constantly on the job to make sure it is being completed as promised. I would have thought Jim owned the floor for as much time he spent on the job. As for you John, you really made this phase of the project go as planned and your communication during the course of the job made my job and planning of the project go smoothly. I really appreciated you being so considerate of my time and project schedule.
I look forward to working with you and Jim in the near future.”
David N. Ragone
Download the PDF
In commercial settings, it’s common to think you need to choose between a practical floor or one that matches your decor. With polished concrete, you get both.
Whether you’re a manufacturing plant or a clothing store, it’s important to be prepped for an influx of people. Polished concrete creates a safe area that’s easy to maintain, and can really accomplish any look you’re going for. See more benefits below:
Commercial and Retail Polished Floor Benefits:
- Cost Savings: Using the slab on grade as the finished floor surface is more cost effective, maintenance costs are lower.
- Resistant to Heavy Foot Traffic: No sealer, wax, or coating to wear off
- Less Maintenance & Longer Service Life: Polished floors are easy to clean, requiring only occasional damp mopping. They also eliminate the need for waxes or coatings as well as the associated labor, time, and expense to apply them. The glossy surface of polished concrete resists the marks of forklift truck tires and staining from oil and chemical spills.
- Resistant to Moisture Transmission Issues: Polished concrete allows the floor to breathe and eliminates issues that arise with other flooring materials that seal off the concrete, such as tile, etc.
- High Light Reflectivity: Important for office lobbies, hotels, restaurants, and other public facilities that want to project a bright, clean, professional image. Also saves energy by reducing artificial lighting requirements.
- Sustainable Flooring Alternative: Polished concrete does not require hazardous coatings, cleaners or adhesives.
- Easy to Clean: Won’t harbor dust, dirt, or allergens
- Available in Wide Variety of Colors and Designs
To inquire about polished concrete for your floor, fill out our contact form today!